Monday, February 15, 2010

WooHoo! Full-term!

That's right baby! Two words ... FULL TERM ... my lil lady is almost here!

Here's what's been going on!

How far along?: Full term ... nuff said!
Total weight gain: At my 36 week checkup, a total of 28 pounds! Huhm ... I'm thinking that my total weight gain MAY be a little more than originally anticipated ... I was hoping for 26 pounds so I guess I've passed that at this point ... whatever ...
Maternity clothes?: Yep ... doin it up maternity style
How big is baby?: Glad you asked! Almost 6 1/3 pounds and likely longer than 19 inches in length ... she's such a big girl!
Stretch marks?: still nothing ... keep your fingers crossed ... although I have heard that they can show up once "lightening (the baby drops)" occurs or even AFTER the birth ... nice ...
Sleep?: Same old, same old ... No ... on and off throughout the night ... it sucks! I can't get comfortable in bed or on the couch ... last night, I started off on the couch, got in bed around 2 am and around 4:30 am, moved back to the couch ... no fun at all
Best moment this week?: Getting that much closer to finishing the nursery ... and as usual, watching my "demanding" little one play in my belly
Movement?: Yeah .... she's all over the place ... sort of ... well, not so much all over the place as she is strong ... strong hard movements are her thing these days ... she stops me in my tracks at this point from time to time and it definitely HURTS sometimes
Food cravings?: I've actually graduated to this weird "full" sensation ... if it wasn't bad for her, I'd feel totally satisfied with eating maybe once a day ... I hear that once "lightening" starts to happen (when the baby drops), I'll have more room to breath and my stomach won't be as "crunched" any longer
Labor signs?: I am experiencing braxton hicks contractions
Belly button in or out?: still in ... again, lets keep our fingers crossed ...
What I miss: alcohol ... not that I regularly indulge but 9 months and not even a drop ... I could use a mojito
What I'm looking forward to: The arrival of our little lady!
Milestone: During my research ... I came up with the following:

How your baby's growing:

Congratulations — your baby is full term! This means that if your baby arrives now, his lungs should be fully mature and ready to adjust to life outside the womb, even though your due date is still three weeks away.

Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

Braxton Hicks contractions may be coming more frequently now and may last longer and be more uncomfortable. You might also notice an increase in vaginal discharge. If you see some "bloody show" (mucus tinged with a tiny amount of blood) labor is probably a few days away — or less. Also be sure to ask your caregiver about the results of your Group B strep culture. That way, if the result isn't yet on your chart when you get to the hospital or birth center, you'll be able to give the staff there a timely heads-up if you need antibiotics.

It may be harder than ever to get comfortable enough to sleep well at night. If you can, take it easy through the day — this may be your last chance to do so for quite a while. Keep monitoring your baby's movements, too, and let your caregiver know immediately if you notice a decrease. Though her quarters are getting cozy, she should still be as active as before.

While you're sleeping, you're likely to have some intense dreams. Anxiety both about labor and about becoming a parent can fuel a lot of strange flights of unconscious fancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment