Saturday, February 6, 2010

Celebrating my 35th Birthday in Style ... Baby Style That Is ...

Well, today was my 35th birthday ... can you believe it ... when I give birth to our first baby, I will be half way to 40 ... interesting ...

The husband flew in this weekend from New Orleans (bless his heart ... missing all of the Superbowl celebrations) to attend our Northwestern Memorial's Prentice Women's Hospital's Great Exceptions Weekend Program which according to them is a an innovative childbirth program that takes the best of Lamaze, the best of Bradley, and combines that with some Yoga and stress reduction techniques to give you and your partner the tools necessary to have the best birth experience possible! You will learn the most current information about anesthesia options, cesarean birth, common labor and delivery interventions and postpartum care. This class is taught by certified childbirth educators who are also experienced Labor and Delivery and Postpartum nurses.

Honestly, the class was GREAT! We loved our instructor ... we were also able to visit a labor and delivery room (oooh ... swanky ... and a view of lake Michigan) as well as a postpartum room (each room is a private room ... only hospital in which every room is a private room in Chicagoland ... cool!). We also had an hour lunch at the hospital's cafeteria ... wow ... excellent food (I had a salad and a black bean burger ... yum). In addition to what was on the description provided above, we also watched a video of 4 actual births (2 un medicated and two medicated), learned about the different pain relief options, benefits of "tearing" vs. episiotomies (ouch), etc. It was a really great class ...

Anyway, a lot has changed over the years ... THIS is how I spent my birthday ... no complaints here, though ... I'd do it again (besides, we definitely celebrated afterward)! I feel that much more prepared ... honestly, it was only a day long course (8:30 am - 4:30 pm) and there was so much information that I'm sure I won't readily retain but I can say that I definitely have a clearer idea about some things that I'd like to know more about.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!





No comments:

Post a Comment