Sunday, December 6, 2009

BUT IT HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I am totally and completely obsessed with everything and anything cloth diaper these days ... so, I've been on the hunt for a great cloth diaper friendly laundry detergent recipe and I found one ... compliments of Amanda http://theecofriendlyfamily.blogspot.com/ (thanks a bunch Amanda for all of your help and willingness to answer my questions!). Well, anyway, I decided to take a look at Sam's Club for what I would need ... despite my grad students constantly urging me to join, I hadn't been a member in years ... yesterday ... I swear when I walked the isles ... it was like "looking at the sun" ... it's hard not to "need everything" ... and to my suprise, the actually carry a lot of bulk eco friendly items (laundry detergent, all purpose cleaner, dish washing liquid, etc.) I definitely scored some AMAZING deals ... anyway, the only problem is that I went by myself to purchase only a couple of things ... one of which didn't include 2 twelve packs of IZZE sparkling fruit beverage (did you know that one bottle is equivalent to 2 of your daily fruit servings ... crazy), a "lifetime" container of cat litter, etc. and much, much, much more ...

Anyway, my point is that I had to do all of the heavy lifting myself ... not a good idea ... the pain in the upper right side of my abdomen was awful ... I've experienced this before ... usually when engaged in an "all day" shopping excursion but this was hell ... I was pretty much doubled over in the middle of Sam's and I had to sit down a few times. When I got home, I did a little research = Round Ligament Pain ... AWFUL!!!!! I've heard of round ligament pain but it's not exactly what I thought it was ...

This is what I found:

Abdominal pain during pregnancy is common. Most often it is a result of round ligament pain. Round ligament pain is due to normal changes that take place as your body is transformed by pregnancy. There are other, abnormal, treatable causes of pain that your health care provider may want to check. Therefore, any new or significant pain should be reported to your doctor.

Pregnancy, Round Ligament Pain Causes

Round ligament pain refers to a type of pelvic pain caused by stretching of the round ligaments. This occurs more commonly on the right side of the pelvis.

  • Your uterus is normally the size of a pear. Thick ligaments, one of which is called the round ligament, hold your uterus in suspension within your abdomen. As the uterus grows in size and weight, these ligaments become very long and thin, stressing and tensing like rubber bands.
  • The ligaments pull and tug on nearby nerve fibers and sensitive structures, causing pain. The severity of pain can worry you. Although round ligament pain is uncomfortable, it is also very normal.
  • A ligament spasm, an involuntary contraction or cramp, usually triggers a sharp pain. These spasms are found more frequently on the right side than the left because of the normal tendency of the uterus to turn to the right.
  • You might awaken at night with pain after having suddenly rolled over in your sleep.
  • The pain may also be brought on by exercise.
It seems that there really isn't much you can do to stop the pain except for rest ... so when I got home last night ... I laid down on the couch and all was well in the world ... that crap hurts ...

No comments:

Post a Comment