Thursday, November 26, 2009

Fatherhood ... Thanksgiving ...

Saw this on one of my favorite blogs (www.makesmewannaholler.com) ... an ad from the National Responsible Fatherhood Clearinghouse and I had to share ... love this one ...



I adore this commercial! Reminds me of my dad ... My dad use to let me apply makeup, put earrings in his ears, and adorn his hair with ribbons and barrettes while he read the Houston Chronicle and sat in his favorite chair. He was fabulous ... between his loving kisses and hugs, our "dates" on the weekends to visit family across town, to movies followed by Coney Island Hotdogs, exploring the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center, playing basketball at our neighborhood basketball court, helping me practice my "windup pitch" when I was into softball, to waiting hot chocolate when I got home from school, banana splits that only a once 16 year old devoted soda fountain worker could make, to his "signature" dinner (fried pork chops, baked beans, french fries, and a salad doused with Ranch dressing), to my waking every morning to the smell of french toast, bacon and eggs (he'd rise earlier than necessary for work to make sure I had a great breakfast before school while letting mom and I sleep in ... he'd wake me up just before he'd leave for work), cutting my toenails even when I was a teenager, to his clapping during my "fashion shows" where I'd showoff my new school digs in the living room to music after a school clothes shopping trip with mom ... my dad epitomized the word "father" ... I miss him ...

On this Thanksgiving ... I have much to be thankful for ... God, my amazingly supportive, loyal, and loving family, my husband and new baby on the way ... friends, my health, the health of loved ones ... and this Thanksgiving ... I'm particularly thankful for the beautiful memories of my father ... though he's not here ... I know that he sees me, loves me from above, keeps me safe, and is proud that his granddaughter will know him through me and the many who loved him ...

2 comments: