Saturday, November 7, 2009

Movie goer ... Precious



What did I do Friday night ... spent my time at AMC's River East movie theater in downtown Chicago. Seeing what movie? "Precious (based on the novel by Sapphire)" ... thought I got there early 3:30 for the 4 p.m. ... sold out. So, I waited around along with the masses to see the 5 p.m. viewing. Definitely a film worth waiting for ...

I was aware that the movie had done extremely well at the Sundance Film Festival ... it was an amazingly raw, thought provoking, painful, smart, funny, horrifying depiction of so many gut wrenching social issues (children placed at risk, poverty, ignorance, systematic struggles, violence ... sexual, physical, emotional, etc.) as well as individual movement toward self-actualization and awareness, perseverance, healing ... applicable to us all. Despite the severity of the issues that were poignantly addressed in the movie, the writers afforded movie goers appropriate breaks for laughs ... the humor in the movie amidst all of the horror was "on time." Beware of any stereotypes and over generalizations. The actors did an excellent job in their roles. I won't say more than to encourage you to see the movie ... with a daughter on the way, I couldn't pass this one up ...

No comments:

Post a Comment