I found this article by Sarah Mojtahedi on a natural medicine website ... (http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/grapefruit_seed_extract) that had some really great information about the beneficial uses of grapefruit seed extract ... before doing my homework, I knew that grapefruit seed extract was a really strong disinfectant but I really had no idea of how to actually use it ... other than on cloth diapers ... here is some of what the article had to say ...
- I didn't know that a few drops of the stuff can actually strengthen any cleanser’s ability to counter bacteria
Disinfectant of Personal Items/Clothes
- Make-up brushes: soak brushes for 15 minutes in a cup of water with 15 drops of GSE mixed with gentle soap. Rinse, squeeze water out and leave to dry for germ free makeup application.
- Toothbrushes: soak brush for 15 minutes in a ½ cup of water with 10 drops GSE to eliminate any bacteria.
- Laundry: 15-20 drops added during the rinse cycle gets rid of mold, odor and any residual grime not removed by soap alone.
Treatment for Skin Irritations/Ailments:
- Razor burn, folliculitis (infection of the hair follicle), ingrown hairs: apply a few drops to a washcloth along with 4 drops of tea tree oil and thoroughly rinse out with water. Wash area daily with mixture instead of soap and conditions should improve.
- Herpes: GSE is known to inactivate the virus after 10 minutes of exposure; application during an outbreak helps to lessen the severity of the attack and reduces the time it takes for sores to heal. When applied directly to sores, dilute a few drops in olive oil before rubbing into skin.
- Diaper rash (really?): dilute 5 drops of GSE in 4 ounces of water and use as a wash in between diaper changes to eliminate rash. It is important to dilute appropriately so not to hurt a baby’s delicate skin.
- Acne wash: a few drops of GSE on moistened fingertips may be used to massage into face as a deep cleanser. Rinse with cool water. Can help rid the skin of toxins and bacteria that cause acne.
- Systemic yeast: take 15 drops in 8 ounces of water or juice to get rid of yeast in the body (Always dilute well before ingesting)
- Vaginitis caused by yeast: women can take GSE orally (as described above) and/or apply it externally as a wash. Instead of soap, GSE in combination with tea tree oil washes the delicate area so that a woman’s delicate pH balance is not disturbed. Place 4 drops of tea tree oil and 3 drops of GSE on a wash cloth. Soak cloth liberally with water. Apply to area as a safe and effective cleanser.
Huhm ... very cool!